Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sundays...

As time goes by and we get older and have families of our own, some basic things remain the same. Or rather they repeat themselves in the future generations, and one of these things are Sundays.

I remember growing up Sundays were a day of homemade buttermilk pancakes, served with log cabin syrup and butter; the day with the big paper and the Sunday comics which my father and I would fight over; a day of football on the TV, and naps with the dogs. A day of fun and relaxing about the house. Of course sometimes Sundays included gardening, planting flowers, weeding, adding fish to the pond, and deadheading the roses. But Sundays, were a day of family togetherness. And I never realized how important this was to me.

Until today, as I sat at the kitchen table with the big paper, reading the comics, and N asked to have them, and then B chimed in for them as well, it took me back in time to a similar place over 20 years and 1000 miles away, and realized that Sundays remain the same.

We still have homemade buttermilk pancakes with log cabin syrup and real butter, although now I am the one making them rather than my father, we still have the big paper, although it is my children and I fighting over the comics (even though they can't read them yet) and Aba has the ads, we still have football on the TV, but now it is the Chargers or Broncos game on instead of the Trojans (USC) or the Wildcats ( Kansas); and we still have lazy naps with the dog.

As times change so do we all, eventually we all grow up and start families of our own, but that doesn't mean we have to leave behind our childhood entirely, if we watch carefully we can see some of our favorite memories, morph into what will hopefully be some of children's favorite memories. and the cycle can repeat itself forever, well at least as long as their is log cabin syrup.